Close this search box.

Back-to-School Immunizations, Services & Extended Hours

Back to School Page Banner


Is your child entering childcare, Head Start, pre-K, middle school, college or a Georgia school for the first time? If so, the DeKalb County Board of Health provides back-to-school services to fit any budget.

Back-to school services include immunizations and vision, hearing, nutritional screenings (BMI) and dental screenings, as well as issuing certifited birth certificates for children born in Georgia.  The Board of Health also offers nutritional screenings and sports physicals at East DeKalb Health Center, T.O. Vision Health Center, North DeKalb Health Center, and Clifton Springs Health Center.

Parents should know that Georgia law requires that children enrolling in childcare or public or private school must have proof of an up-to-date immunization Georgia form 3231.  They must also have a completed Georgia form 3300 for vision, hearing, nutritional screenings (BMI) and dental screenings if they are entering a public school for the first time.  Children transferring from another Georgia county or another state must show proof of immunizations and health screenings on these forms.

There is a new requirement for middle school students. It applies to children who were born on or after Jan. 1, 2002, who are entering 7th grade or who are new to Georgia schools and entering grades 8 through 12.  They must now show proof that they have received one dose of Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis) vaccine and one dose of meningococcal conjugate vaccine.

The University System of Georgia’s Board of Regents develops and implements immunization policies for the state’s public colleges and universities. Private colleges and universities develop and implement their own policies. Each student should check their institution’s requirements. College students may be required to have the following vaccinations:

  • MMR (measles, mumps and rubella) for students born in 1957 or later.
  • Varicella (chickenpox) for students 18 years of age or younger at college entrance, for all U.S. students born in or after 1980 and for all foreign-born  students regardless of their birth year.
  • Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis). One dose is required if the student has not previously received Tdap. A booster is required if it has been 10 years or more since the student received Tdap.
  • Hepatitis B series for students who will be 18 years of age or younger at college  entrance.
  • Meningococcal conjugate for students living in campus housing.


The Board of Health can provide an immunization certificate for the college or university.

The health centers are routinely open Monday through Friday from 8:15 a.m. to 5 p.m. However, hours will be extended on Aug. 4, 5, 6, 10, 11, and 12 from 8:15 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. For extended dental screening hours, call the nearest health center.  No appointment is necessary.

Parents should:

  • Bring each child and his or her immunization record
  • Bring, if applicable, each child’s Medicaid, PeachCare for Kids, State Health Benefits Plan (Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Georgia) or Aetna card.
  • Be prepared to pay by cash, debit/credit card or a check from a Georgia bank
  • Most insurance are accepted. Please call the health center location of your choice to verify

Back-to-school services are available at the following locations:

  • Central DeKalb (T. O. Vinson) Health Center, 440 Winn Way, Decatur, Ga.  30030 (404) 294-3762.
  • East DeKalb Health Center, 2277 S. Stone Mountain-Lithonia Road, Lithonia, Ga. 30058, (770) 484-2600.
  • North DeKalb Health Center, 3807 Clairmont Road, Chamblee, Ga. 30341, (770) 454-1144.
  • Clifton Springs Health Center, 3110 Clifton Springs Road, Decatur, Ga. 30034, (404) 244-2200

A certified birth certificate is also required for school registration.  Birth certificates for children born in Georgia are available for $25 from the Board of Health’s Office of Vital Records, room 191, Richardson Health Center, 445 Winn Way, Decatur, Ga. 30030.  A Georgia driver’s license or other state identification card is required. Only a legal parent, grandparent or guardian can obtain a birth certificate for a child under 18 years old. Payment for certificates can be made in cash or by debit/credit card. Checks are not accepted. Vital Records’ hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m.

For more information on back-to-school services, call 404-294-3700.